More children in grades K-12 take care of themselves, unsupervised or in the care of a sibling, after school than the number being educated and supervised by adults in after school programs.
FAN's Latest News
- TEDxAfterschool STEM event: FAN is coordinating an event December 18th, 2014, at the Florida Institute of Technology (Florida Tech) Main Campus. We're looking for inspiring and motivational speakers! Contact Joe Davis or Samantha Thornstensen for more information..
- The One Goal Summer Conference brings together early care and education providers and leaders from around the state on July 16th - 18th in Tampa, Florida. For more information about this annual event go to www.onegoalsummerconference.org.
- Michael Lannon, former superintendent and member of FAN's Board of Directors, was recently recognized for his outstanding support of afterschool programs by the Afterschool Alliance in Washington, D.C. Read more.
- Zero Robotics: The 2014 national Zero Robotics Middle School competition is underway! Visit www.FloridaZeroRobotics.com. Florida is defending its nation title and teams selected for the Finals will see their projects compete against 10 other states, under the watchful eyes of astronauts on the International Space Station. Best wishes to Florida's teams!
- The Achievement Gap is Real. New Research shows that Afterschool is a Real Solution linked to Closing the Gap! Highlights of Dr. Deborah Lowe Vandell's research are found in a new informational brochure made available from the Expanded Learning & Afterschool Project.
- This year's Florida Afterschool Conference is part of FDOE's Student Success Summit and will be held October 20-24th at the World Center Marriott in Orlando. Click here to register.
- Lights On Afterschool is Thursday, October 23rd. Start planning early for your event. There will be an LOA celebration for Student Success Summit attendees.