In addition to lack of access, others barriers include cost, preference for alternative activities, and concerns about lack of quality.
FAN's Latest News
- Join Arnold Schwarzenegger at the National After-School Summit! Right now, Congress is debating eliminating $1 billion for after-school programs. Over one and a half million students need these resources Watch the live webcast of the National After-School Summit on March 24 9:30 am-12:30 pm PT and get informed.
- Florida's 21st CCLC RFP has been released! The Department of Education has issued the following memorandum regarding the Release of the 2015-16 Request for Proposals for the 21st Century Community Learning Centers Program Competitive Projects - Geographic Diversity Expansion. The deadline to submit a proposal is April 10th, 2015. The RFP can be viewed here.
- Afterschool for All Challenge was held March 10th, 2015, in Washington DC. This year's Challenge was a huge success with hundreds of afterschool advocates visiting members on Capitol Hill conveying the message of the importance of afterschool and summer learning. This year's Challenge emphasized the importance of maintaining the 21st Century Community Learning Centers program in reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, which remains the only dedicated federal funding stream for afterschool.
- Action Alert! The Federal 21st CCLC afterschool program needs your support! The Afterschool Alliance has made it easy for stakeholders to contact their congressional members to voice concerns over the prospect of 21st CCLC being removed from ESEA Reauthorization. To learn more about how you can provide your support, go to the Policy and Action Center.
- Florida's Afterschool programs are working! Florida has been recognized as a Top Ten State for its high quality programming, for targeting student populations with the greatest needs, and for parental satisfaction. However, the demand for more opportunities for students to participate continues to be strong. For more information on the data associated with Florida's afterschool programs, click here.
- Florida After 3PM Fact Sheet: Want to know more about afterschool in Florida? The latest survey data from the Afterschool Alliance gives insightful information on parental satisfaction of afterschool programs in Florida and the benefits to students who regularly participate in afterschool.
- STEM DAY at the Capitol: On April 21st, FAN and the Orlando Science Center will join forces with other partners and head to Tallahassee for the second annual STEM Day at the Capitol! We hope you will consider joining us in the capital city. STEM Day is an opportunity to advocate for the importance of STEM learning in afterschool, facilitate discussion with state legislators, engage them in active participation of hands-on STEM activities, and promote the value of partnerships as a tool to inspire and encourage our youth to pursue STEM careers. Contact Nicholas Shy at firstname.lastname@example.org or Samantha Thorstensen at email@example.com for more information on how you can be involved.
- Florida's TEDx Afterschool event: FAN is seeking inspiring and motivational speakers to deliver 3-7 minute messages on the power of afterschool programming. FAN is continuing planning for an upcoming TEDx event, which will tentatively be held in the summer of 2015 at the Florida Institute of Technology (Florida Tech) Main Campus. For more information, contact Samantha Thorstensen.
- FAN's Regional Afterschool STEM Hubs: For more information on FAN's STEM Professional Development Resources and opportunities to learn more about infusing STEM into your afterschool programs, visit our website at http://www.stem-fan.org/stem-hubs.html.