More than 80,000 children are served in the state's 21st Century Learning program and more than 65,000 in the School Readiness program!
FAN's Latest News
- Action Alert! The Federally funded 21st CCLC afterschool program needs your support! The US Senate passed an amendment in April to keep funding for 21st CCLC in the new Every Child Achieves Act (which will update and replace the No Child Left Behind law). Please urge continued support for afterschool and summer learning programs by using the Afterschool Alliance’s Policy and Action Center to write a letter to Florida’s Senators thanking them for keeping 21st CCLC funding alive!
- Lights On Afterschool Poster Contest: LOA will be celebrated nationally in the fall on Thursday, October 22, 2015. It’s not too early to start planning your events! Also, FAN partner, Bright House Networks, is sponsoring a national poster contest with entries being due by June 1st. For more information, visit the Afterschool Alliance.
- Summer Learning Day is June 19th, 2015: National Summer Learning Day elevates the importance of keeping kids learning, safe, and healthy over the summer. If you are hosting an NSLD event, the National Summer Learning Association encourages you to register it so families will be better able to participate.
- Zero Robotics Middle School Competition: The 2015 Florida Zero Robotics program will have 13 middle school teams participating in July and August. Students will be vying for a chance to compete with other states and to get live feedback on their experiments from astronauts on the International Space Station! For more information on ZR, go to www.zerorobotics.mit.edu and the Florida teams can be followed in July on FAN’s ZR Blog at www.floridazerorobotics.com
- Afterschool on Capital Dateline Online: FAN’s Michael Lannon and Joe Davis are featured on Inside Florida Politics and the Florida Newsmakers sections of this informative program from the Florida Cable Telecommunications Association. Capital Dateline airs on your local Florida Sun Sports/Fox Sports channel and on the web at www.capitaldatelineonline.com.
- Florida Afterschool by the Numbers Fact Sheet: More than a decade of 21st CCLC data shows that afterschool programs are making a difference in the lives of children, but a significant state investment (both public and private) is needed in order for all students to have an opportunity to participate in afterschool. Florida Afterschool Fact Sheet
- Capitol Connection: The Florida Legislature will hold a Special Session in June (1st–20th) for the specific purpose of passing a state budget for the next fiscal year. For weekly updates and archived information related to the legislative affairs, click on the Florida Children’s Council’s Capitol Connection.
- Improving STEM activities in Afterschool: Florida has a network of afterschool STEM Hubs whose mission is to increase quality of programming. For more information on FAN's STEM professional development resources and opportunities to learn more about infusing STEM into your afterschool program, visit our website at www.stem-fan.org/stem-hubs.html.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger champions afterschool! Congress is debating eliminating $1 billion for after-school programs. Over one and a half million students need these resources. You can watch the webcast of the National After-School Summit on that was held on March 24th and get informed.
- Florida's Afterschool programs are working! Florida has been recognized as a Top Ten State for its high quality programming, for targeting student populations with the greatest needs, and for parental satisfaction. However, the demand for more opportunities for students to participate continues to be strong. For more information on data associated with Florida's afterschool programs, click here.
- Florida's TEDx Afterschool event: FAN is seeking inspiring and motivational speakers to deliver 3-7 minute messages on the power of afterschool programming. FAN is continuing planning for an upcoming TEDX event, which will tentatively be held in the late summer of 2015 at the Florida Institute of Technology (Florida Tech) Main Campus. For more information, contact Samantha Thorstensen.