Afterschool aged children make up 20% of the state's population.
FAN's Latest News
- Florida Named a Top 10 State for Afterschool! Florida has been recognized for its high quality programming, for targeting student populations with the greatest needs, and for parental satisfaction with the programs in which their children participate. The demand for more programs continues to be strong, though. For more information on afterschool data in Florida, click here.
- Lights On Afterschool 2014was a resounding success with over 8000 individual events all over the country. Florida led the nation in per capita number of celebrations with over 600 registered events! Thanks to all of Florida's providers and afterschool champions for celebrating high quality afterschool programming!
- Florida's TEDx Afterschool event: FAN is coordinating an event December 18th, 2014, at the Florida Institute of Technology (Florida Tech) Main Campus. We're looking for inspiring and motivational speakers! Contact Joe Davis or Samantha Thornstensen for more information.
- FAN's new Afterschool STEM page is live! Go to http://www.stem-fan.org/ to check out our new STEM (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics) page. Get all your STEM related news, workshop information, and much more on this site!
Samsung's Solve for Tomorrow contest for teachers in all disciplines from grades 6-12 ends October 31st.
Go to www.samsung.com/solve for more information. National Winners will receive $140,000 in technology and prizes, and a trip to
Washington, D.C. for a celebratory event. Just by entering the contest, teachers get 1 free technology development course from PBS TeacherLine!
- Bright House Networks' competition for Bright Ideas STEM from Today's Youth end Oct. 31st. Students are challenged to come up with a Bright Idea to solve a problem. High School students who are at least 14 years old can join in on the fun and see how their Bright Ideas can make a difference and change the world! To find out more about this competitionClick Here.
- The Achievement Gap is Real. New Research shows that Afterschool is a Real Solution linked to Closing the Gap! Highlights of Dr. Deborah Lowe Vandell's research are found in a new informational brochure made available from the Expanded Learning & Afterschool Project.